The end of the year is upon us and I realized we have done quite a lot in our US History course. I am curious to get your constructive critiques of the projects we tackled and themes covered in class. You can choose to answer those questions you find most relevant to your experience. This will help me as I plan for next year.
Our first adventure was to travel down Wisconsin Avenue to Marquette University to join in the Smithsonian’s video conference on Civil War artwork. We analyzed art along with classrooms form Delaware, Pennsylvania and Maryland. What were benefits to MU’s facilities and that type of videoconference format?
- We then toured the old Soldier’s Home Grounds near Miller Park. Although we did not complete the video project we did begin the process by compiling research on various buildings and soldiers buried on the grounds. This research will be used by students next year to continue these video efforts. What connections did we make between the Civil War veterans who originally occupied the grounds to the current Iraqi and Afghanistan war veterans who are recovering there today? What did you find most interesting about the tour we received of the cemetery and buildings?
- Our last major projects were Skype calls with classrooms in Virginia and Georgia. What were positives and negatives to skyping as a group (Virginia) and in individual groups (Georgia). Explain how the wiki-space site can be utilized better. (Please keep your critique/comments to the process and not the participants).
- I am curious if you have an idea for a technology tool, web link or site that you think would be useful in my class next year. Please explain why and provide a link in your answers. Can you think of a way to connect that technology to one of the major themes (listed below) that we discussed in class?
- Exploration, Colonization and Settlement (World and Space)
- Revolution & Founding Documents
- Westward Expansion
- Social Movements
- Civil War to the Civil Rights Movement
- Civil War Memory: The Lost Cause and Segregation
- Industrialization and Technology
- Imperialism & World Wars
Thank you for a fantastic year!